Toronto Yoga Teacher Training Programme
Become a yoga instructor
Open House for the Yoga Teacher Training Programme, Wednesday, July 19, 7:00pm ET, on Zoom
RSVP to receive the link.
For those interested in becoming a yoga teacher, enhancing a previous teacher training or simply expanding their own practice and knowledge. Everyone welcome, please enquire. Long distance learning is possible. Ongoing intake throughout 2023/2024.
Contact Tama Soble for information or to make a private phone or Zoom appointment, firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW! There is a non-academic option for those not intending to teach.
Toronto’s Esther Myers Yoga Studio’s 750 Hour Teacher Training Programme provides training for
- Yoga practitioners interested in becoming yoga instructors
- Instructors who already teach and wish to upgrade their skills
- Experienced students looking to deepen their practice and understanding
Our Yoga Teacher Training Programme offers practice in the poses and techniques of yoga, with a solid grounding in the organic and anatomical principles that underlie them.
Yoga teaching at the Studio is inspired by the work of Vanda Scaravelli (1908-1999) and Esther Myers (1947-2004), and is based on three principles: breathing, grounding (our connection to the earth) and spinal elongation.
What Students say about the Yoga Teacher Training Programme
Our trainees and graduates have discovered
- Learning to apply these principles brings greater clarity, simplicity and depth to yoga practice and teaching
- A 16 month programme allows the time necessary to learn, practise and integrate the complex array of skills required to be a teacher of the highest standard
- Our approach is deeply reflective and student centred
- The confidence to respond to and instruct each student individually and well
We describe our approach as Thinking Body Yoga because it is based on an educational model that guides each practitioner toward an objective and subjective understanding of the body, the mind and their intrinsic connections.
Listen to what our yoga students think
For more information about Yoga Teacher Training in Toronto contact Tama Soble, email@example.com, 416-944-0838.
Esther Myers Yoga Studio is a Registered Educational Institution. Students enrolled in the Teacher Training Programme will receive an official tuition fee receipt (T2202A) which can be used when filing your personal income tax.
- At least two years of yoga practice
- Regular breathing/meditation practice
- Regular asana/posture practice
- Completed application form
- Attendance at 6 classes (or the equivalent in workshops/intensives) at Esther Myers Yoga Studio with Monica Voss or Tama Soble prior to the first workshop in October. These classes provide you and the faculty with an opportunity to determine whether this course is the right fit for you. Acceptance is conditional if the mandatory 6 classes are not completed before the first weekend workshop.
- Interview in person with a member of the Teacher Training faculty
- Payment of $70.00 application fee
The following is an outline of our Teacher Training course requirements.
- Work up to a 15-20 minute breathing practice: 4 days/week.
- Work up to a 45-60 minute posture practice: 4 days/week.
- A weekly personal class at your own level for a total of 140 class hours.
- A weekly beginner class as an intern in which you observe and eventually learn to do hands on assisting for a total of 140 class hours.
All personal classes and internship classes must be taken at the Studio with Teacher Training faculty only (Monica Voss and/or Tama Soble). Please discuss the class schedule with the faculty before determining which classes to attend. You may begin attending classes in September.
- 20 full day weekend workshops
- all workshop dates will be posted on the Studio website
- for further clarification email or phone the Studio
- 100% attendance required
The workshops and intensives include :
- Postures and breathing practice
- Experiential anatomy and spinal movement
- Basic teaching techniques
- Presentations and hands-on practice through supervised teaching
- Teaching and discussion of the history, philosophy, and psychology of yoga studied in light of contemporary issues
- Exploration of the body/mind/emotion connections and discussion of the psychology of teaching.
- 2 retreats over the course of the Programme. These retreats must be taken through Esther Myers Yoga Studio with faculty of the Teacher Training Programme and total at least 12 hours of yoga practice each. One of the retreats must be the Teachers’ Retreat with Tama Soble scheduled annually. Please check the website or schedule for other retreat possibilities.
The value of the assignments is to prepare you for the workshops and help you to practise communicating your thoughts clearly and simply and in your own words. As you observe, reflect and express your thoughts, you will create a personal manual, with an assessment of your own learning and the development of your students.
For the faculty, the assignments are a window into your thought processes. They assist us in understanding your strengths and weaknesses and in planning workshops to address your needs.
The deadlines for all assignments coordinate with the workshops. With written permission, extensions are possible.
A research paper on an approved topic of your choice, 15 – 20 pages double spaced, is also required after the assignments are complete. This paper will be made up of first-hand research, evidence of the direct relevance of your topic to yoga teaching, and description of your own personal experience.
Two retreats are required over the course of the Programme. These retreats must be taken through Esther Myers Yoga Studio with faculty of the Teacher Training Programme and total at least 12 hours of asana and breathing practice each. One of the retreats must be the Teachers’ Retreat offered annually. Please check the website or schedule for other retreat possibilities.
- Practice teaching in the Teacher Training workshops
- Teach a minimum of 52.5 hours of yoga classes with a minimum of 3 students per class. Teaching one-on-one does not fulfill this requirement.
- 12 hours of community service – teaching yoga as a volunteer to a group in need. This can be part of your teaching requirement above, not in addition to it.
A minimum of one meeting is required per term with a faculty member. These meetings are set up so that we can discuss your questions and progress in the course. Informal meetings should take place on a regular basis with your internship teacher. You and/or your internship teacher may initiate a meeting anytime.
The faculty members assess each trainee on professionalism, including attitude toward learning and teaching, demeanour during internship classes, punctuality for all classes and workshops, and general appearance.
You will be given a certificate upon satisfactory completion of the academic course, signed by all faculty members. We do not provide any type of written document for partial completion of the Teacher Training Programme.
The 750 hour Teacher Training Programme will cost approximately $7,560.00 CDN. This figure covers the cost of 20 workshops, an unlimited class pass from September 2021 – January 2023, meetings, handouts and the review of your papers. The fees are paid in seven instalments. Books are purchased separately.
Upon acceptance, a $1,080.00 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your place. This represents your first instalment.
Students enrolled in the Esther Myers Yoga Studio Teacher Training Programme will receive an official tuition fee receipt (T2202A) which can be used when filing your personal income tax. All fees for Teacher Training workshops, classes, and the yoga portion of Ontario retreats are included in the calculation.
Workshop Payment Schedule
Acceptance into programme – $1,080.00
November 1, 2021 – $1,080.00
December 1, 2021 – $1,080.00
January 2, 2022 – $1,080.00
May 1, 2022 – $1,080.00
June 1, 2022 – $1,080.00
July 1, 2022 – $1,080.00
• Unlimited classes at the Studio (September 1, 2021 to January 31, 2023)
• 20 day long Teacher Training Workshops
• Administration/ Marking/ Handouts/ Meetings
Costs do not include
• Accommodation and meals on retreat
Please note, all fees are non-refundable.
Workshops for teacher training students enrolled in the 2022 – 2023 Programme
Below are the required full day workshop dates from October 2022 through December, 2022.
You will receive an email before each workshop confirming the exact times. Unless indicated, all workshops will be in-person at the Studio.
- Orientation – Sunday, October 30 (Online)
- Developing and Sustaining a Personal Practice – Sunday, November 13 (Online)
- Yoga and Anatomy part 1 – Saturday, December 3 (Online)
- Introduction to the Yamas and Niyamas – Sunday, January 29 (Online)
- Awakening the Spine – Sunday, February 5 (Online)
- Introduction to Yoga for Pregnancy – Sunday, February 26 (Online)
- Yoga for Anxiety and Depression – Sunday, April 16 (Online)
- The Power of Touch: Hands-on Assisting for Yoga Teachers – Saturday, April 29 (In-person at the Studio)
*May through December 2023 dates TBA
For additional information please contact us.
For over 40 years, Toronto’s Esther Myers Yoga Studio has provided yoga instruction and teacher training to students from a wide variety of ages and backgrounds. Deep heartfelt thanks to Esther Myers (1947-2004) for the intelligent compassionate path of enquiry she blazed for us all.