At Esther Myers Yoga Studio we believe that a deeply reflective yoga practice helps us clarify how we interact with those in our immediate community, across Canada and around the world. We feel that reaching out to others honours Esther Myers’ legacy of integrity, authenticity and giving.
40th anniversary of Esther Myers Yoga Studio
The Studio is celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2019 with a series of fundraising events the proceeds of which will be donated to the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto, our neighbour at 16 Spadina Road.
The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto offers a wide range of programmes and events including indigenous language classes, beading workshops, children’s arts and crafts, weekly big drum socials, martial arts, youth and cultural programming, and the Toronto Native Community History Programme. It has been a social, recreational, spiritual and cultural hub for Aboriginal people living and working in Toronto since 1962.
Upcoming Events to celebrate 40 years of the Studio
Turqwaz performance, June 8
We are pleased to be holding A musical evening with Turkwaz on Saturday, June 8, 7:00pm at the Studio.
$35 in advance and at the door
They play exotic instruments beautifully, but their primary focus is singing, full-on, a beautiful presentation of the cultural material they sing. The instruments they play are used for lively and clear accompaniment, and their voices will fill the Studio with gorgeous sound.
A day of musical workshops with lunch, June 9
*Sorry, this event has been cancelled
Plan to join us for A day of workshops with a light lunch included at the Studio on Sunday, June 9, 11:00am-5:15pm.
Sing It! with Shirley Roll
Drumming with Rufus Glassco
Yoga and Dance with Julia Juhas
Community Meal, Silent Auction and an Evening of Reading and Storytelling
Saturday, September 21
$45 for the evening/ $80 for two
Hold the date to join us for a celebratory evening.
- The Food Truck arriving at 5:30pm will provide a light main course
- Drinks, sweets, fruit will be available in the Studio and there will be a cash bar.
- Readings begin at 7:00pm with authors at the Studio.
- Silent Auction closes at 8:30pm
Sincere thanks to students, colleagues, friends, family, and neighbours for your kindness and support over these many decades. We look forward with hope and enthusiasm to our continuing relationship.
Warm regards, Monica and Tama
Please check our website through 2019 for updates of these and other special anniversary events.
Fundraising at the Studio
With the generous support of our Studio community and their families and friends, we have been able to raise tens of thousands of dollars for worthy organizations that function responsibly, funnelling donations directly to those who need it most.
Special rates for classes
For those within our Studio community we offer a PWYC class every Sunday evening, and reduced rates for classes and workshops for those with financial concerns.
Volunteer teaching by EMYS Yoga Teacher Training students
Our Teacher Trainees do volunteer teaching for populations in need as part of their training. Some of the organizations involved with this programme include CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health), The Jean Tweed Centre and the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind). The relationships that are cultivated through volunteering for these and other local organizations have often continued for years, benefitting both teachers and students.
Each year we hold a fundraiser. All events offer an opportunity to spend a pleasurable couple of hours meeting and chatting with fellow students, practising yoga or a related modality and sharing lunch or tea. 100% of the proceeds from these events is donated to a designated charity.
Organizations supported by the Studio
If you are interested in knowing more about the organizations we have chosen to support, please note the following list.
- Amnesty International www.amnesty.ca
- Burma Buddhist Association of Ontario (Tsunami relief, January 2005)
- Casey House (Toronto) www.caseyhouse.com
- Hospice Toronto www.hospicetoronto.ca
- Habitat for Humanity (international division- Haiti) www.torontohabitat.on.ca
- Native Canadian Centre of Toronto https://ncct.on.ca
- Native Women’s Shelter (Toronto – anonymous for security reasons)
- One City Scholarship Fund One City Scholarship Fund www.onecityfund.com
- Peace Train (South Africa) www.sharonkatz.com
- Ride To Conquer Cancer (Princess Margaret Hospital) www.conquercancer.ca
- Second Harvest www.secondharvest.ca
- Sistering (Toronto) www.sistering.org
- Stephen Lewis Foundation (Africa) www.stephenlewisfoundation.org
- The Humanitarian Coalition (Pakistan) www.thehumanitariancoalition.ca
- The Scott Mission www.scottmision
- Touchstone Youth Centre http://tmp.nipost.org/touchstoneyc.org
- The Willow Centre Child & Family Foundation (Toronto) www.thewillowcentre.com/foundation
- World Literacy Canada www.worldlit.ca