At Esther Myers Yoga Studio we believe that a deeply reflective yoga practice helps us clarify how we interact with those in our immediate community, across Canada and around the world. We feel that reaching out to others honours Esther Myers’ legacy of integrity, authenticity and giving.
40th anniversary of Esther Myers Yoga Studio
The Studio celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2019 with a series of fundraising events.
A big cheer to all volunteers, contributors and participants for helping make the 2019 celebratory fundraisers a huge success. With your help we collected more than $7000 for the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto.
Sincere thanks to students, colleagues, friends, family, and neighbours for your kindness and support over these many decades. We look forward with hope and enthusiasm to our continuing relationship.
Warm regards, Monica and Tama
Fundraising at the Studio
With the generous support of our Studio community and their families and friends, we have been able to raise tens of thousands of dollars for worthy organizations that function responsibly, funnelling donations directly to those who need it most.
Special rates for classes
For those within our Studio community we offer a PWYC class every Sunday evening, and reduced rates for classes and workshops for those with financial concerns.
Volunteer teaching by EMYS Yoga Teacher Training students
Our Teacher Trainees do volunteer teaching for populations in need as part of their training. Some of the organizations involved with this programme include CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health), The Jean Tweed Centre and the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind). The relationships that are cultivated through volunteering for these and other local organizations have often continued for years, benefitting both teachers and students.
Each year we hold a fundraiser. All events offer an opportunity to spend a pleasurable couple of hours meeting and chatting with fellow students, practising yoga or a related modality and sharing lunch or tea. 100% of the proceeds from these events is donated to a designated charity.
Organizations supported by the Studio
If you are interested in knowing more about the organizations we have chosen to support, please note the following list.
- Amnesty International www.amnesty.ca
- Burma Buddhist Association of Ontario (Tsunami relief, January 2005)
- Casey House (Toronto) www.caseyhouse.com
- Hospice Toronto www.hospicetoronto.ca
- Habitat for Humanity (international division- Haiti) www.torontohabitat.on.ca
- Native Canadian Centre of Toronto https://ncct.on.ca
- Native Women’s Shelter (Toronto – anonymous for security reasons)
- One City Scholarship Fund One City Scholarship Fund www.onecityfund.com
- Peace Train (South Africa) www.sharonkatz.com
- Ride To Conquer Cancer (Princess Margaret Hospital) www.conquercancer.ca
- Second Harvest www.secondharvest.ca
- Sistering (Toronto) www.sistering.org
- Stephen Lewis Foundation (Africa) www.stephenlewisfoundation.org
- The Humanitarian Coalition (Pakistan) www.thehumanitariancoalition.ca
- The Scott Mission www.scottmision
- Touchstone Youth Centre http://tmp.nipost.org/touchstoneyc.org
- The Willow Centre Child & Family Foundation (Toronto) www.thewillowcentre.com/foundation
- World Literacy Canada www.worldlit.ca