At Esther Myers Yoga Studio we believe that a deeply reflective yoga practice helps us clarify how we interact with those in our immediate community, across Canada and around the world. We feel that reaching out to others honours Esther Myers’ legacy of integrity, authenticity and giving.
With the generous support of our Studio community and their families and friends, we have been able to raise tens of thousands of dollars for worthy organizations that function responsibly, funnelling donations directly to those who need it most.
Our Fundraising Book Sale will be held on Sunday, September 24, 2017, 9:00am-3:00pm in the parking lot at 390 Dupont St.
If you have items of fiction, biography, memoir, history or social commentary to contribute, please bring them to the Studio beginning the week of September 5. Your contributions are much appreciated.
All proceeds will go to One City Scholarship Fund (www.onecity fund.com) supporting graduating Toronto high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds who have excelled academically with their college and university education.
Sorry, no magazines, cookbooks, art books, text books, self-help, dictionaries or encyclopedias accepted.
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS. If you would like to help out on the day, please call (416) 944-0838, email or come by the Studio. THANK YOU!
For those within our Studio community we offer a PWYC class every Sunday evening, and reduced rates for classes and workshops for those with financial concerns.
Our Teacher Trainees do volunteer teaching for populations in need as part of their training. Some of the organizations involved with this programme include CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health), The Jean Tweed Centre and the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind). The relationships that are cultivated through volunteering for these and other local organizations have often continued for years, benefitting both teachers and students.
Each year we hold a fundraiser. All events offer an opportunity to spend a pleasurable couple of hours meeting and chatting with fellow students, practising yoga or a related modality and sharing lunch or tea. 100% of the proceeds from these events is donated to a designated charity.
If you are interested in knowing more about the organizations we have chosen to support, please note the following list.
- Amnesty International www.amnesty.ca
- Burma Buddhist Association of Ontario (Tsunami relief, January 2005)
- Casey House (Toronto) www.caseyhouse.com
- Hospice Toronto www.hospicetoronto.ca
- Habitat for Humanity (international division- Haiti) www.torontohabitat.on.ca
- Native Women’s Shelter (Toronto – anonymous for security reasons)
- One City Scholarship Fund One City Scholarship Fund www.onecity fund.com
- Peace Train (South Africa) www.sharonkatz.com
- Ride To Conquer Cancer (Princess Margaret Hospital) www.conquercancer.ca
- Second Harvest www.secondharvest.ca
- Sistering (Toronto) www.sistering.org
- Stephen Lewis Foundation (Africa) www.stephenlewisfoundation.org
- The Humanitarian Coalition (Pakistan) www.thehumanitariancoalition.ca
- The Scott Mission www.scottmission.com
- Touchstone Youth Centre http://touchstoneyc.org
- The Willow Centre Child & Family Foundation (Toronto) www.thewillowcentre.com/foundation
- World Literacy Canada www.worldlit.ca
In 2009, as part of our Studio’s 30th anniversary celebration, we held five fund raising events for Hospice Toronto, a local organization with training programmes designed to support those in palliative care and their families. We were inspired by the tireless work of the volunteers and staff of this small organization. The events that helped us raise $10,000 for Hospice Toronto included: a Day of Yoga, an ongoing raffle, a music concert, an Indian dinner and silent auction, a lecture and lunch, and the annual yard sale. These events were satisfying and successful because time, effort, expertise and goods were all generously donated by our Studio community, family, friends, neighbours, and colleagues. Abundance truly does lead to abundance. Many thanks to all who attended, contributed and volunteered.
Esther Myers Yoga Studio
390 Dupont St.
M5R 1V9, Canada
416 944 0838