For more information contact: Tama Soble, 416 944 0838 x 1,
Open Houses for the Teacher Training Programme, October 2013 – June 2015
Wednesday, June 12 at 6:00pm, Thursday, September 12 at 6:00pm and Saturday, September 21 at 3:30pm.
RSVP: Tama Soble, 416 944-0838,
The 2013-2015 course officially begins Sunday, October 6.
750 HOUR TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAMME
For yoga practitioners interested in becoming teachers, for those already teaching wishing to upgrade their skills, and for experienced students looking to deepen their practice and understanding, the Teacher Training Programme at Esther Myers Yoga Studio provides practice in the poses and techniques of yoga, with a solid grounding in the organic and anatomical principles that underlie them.
Our teaching is inspired by the work of Vanda Scaravelli (1908-1999) and Esther Myers (1947-2004), and is based on three principles: breathing, gravity (our connection to the earth), and spinal elongation.
Learning to apply these principles will bring greater clarity, simplicity and depth to your practice and teaching. Our two year programme gives you the time necessary to learn, practise and integrate the complex array of skills required to be a teacher of the highest standard. Our approach is deeply reflective and student centred. You will learn to respond to and teach each individual student. We describe our approach as Thinking Body Yoga because it is based on an educational model that guides each practitioner toward an objective and subjective understanding of the body, the mind and their intrinsic connections.
Esther Myers Yoga Studio is a Registered Educational Institution. Students enrolled in the Teacher Training Programme will receive an official tuition fee receipt (T2202A) which can be used when filing your personal income tax.
Please call or write the Studio and leave a message for Tama Soble, , 416-944-0838 x 1.
TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAMME INFORMATION
Our minimum requirements for admission are as follows:
- At least two years of yoga practice
- Regular breathing/meditation practice
- Regular asana/posture practice
- Completed application form
- Attendance at 6 classes (or the equivalent in workshops/retreats) at Esther Myers Yoga Studio with Monica Voss, Tama Soble or Paola di Paolo prior to the first workshop in October. These classes provide you and the faculty with an opportunity to determine whether this course is the right fit for you. Acceptance is conditional if the mandatory 6 classes are not completed before the first weekend workshop.
- Interview in person with a member of the Teacher Training faculty
- Payment of $70.00 application fee
The following is an outline of our Teacher Training course requirements.
- Work up to a 15-20 minute breathing practice: 4 days/week.
- Work up to a 45-60 minute posture practice: 4 days/week.
- A weekly class at your own level for a total of 140 class hours.
- A weekly beginner class as an intern in which you observe and eventually learn to do hands on assisting for a total of 140 class hours.
Regular classes and internship classes must be taken at the Studio with Teacher Training faculty only (Monica Voss, Tama Soble or Paola di Paolo) during the first year of training. In second year, trainees may study with any teacher at the Studio. Some exceptions apply. Please discuss the class schedule with the faculty before determining which classes to attend.
- Practice teaching in the Teacher Training workshops
- Teach a minimum of 52.5 hours of yoga classes with a minimum of 3 students per class (beginning in September 2014). Teaching one-on-one does not fulfill this requirement.
- 12 hours of community service – teaching yoga as a volunteer to a group in need. This can be part of your teaching requirement above, not in addition to it.
- 18 full day weekend workshops
- 1 three day intensive during the summer
- 100% attendance required
The workshops and intensives include :
- Postures and breathing practice
- Experiential anatomy and spinal movement
- Basic teaching techniques
- Presentations and hands-on practice through supervised teaching
- Teaching and discussion of the history, philosophy, and psychology of yoga studied in light of contemporary issues
- Exploration of the body/mind/emotion connections and discussion of the psychology of teaching.
- 2 retreats over the course of the Programme. These retreats must be taken through Esther Myers Yoga Studio with faculty of the Teacher Training Programme and total at least 12 hours of yoga practice each. One of the retreats must be the Teachers’ Retreat with Tama Soble scheduled annually. Please check the website or schedule for other retreat possibilities.
- 2 retreats over the course of the Programme. These retreats must be taken through Esther Myers Yoga Studio with faculty of the Teacher Training Programme and total at least 12 hours of asana and breathing practice each. One of the retreats must be the Teachers’ Retreat offered annually. The next Teachers’ Retreat will take place January 31 – February 2, 2014. Please check the website or schedule for other retreat possibilities.
The value of the assignments is to prepare you for the workshops and help you to practise communicating your thoughts clearly and simply and in your own words. As you observe, reflect and express your thoughts, you will create a personal manual, with an assessment of your own learning and the development of your students.
For the faculty, the assignments are a window into your thought processes. They assist us in understanding your strengths and weaknesses and in planning workshops to address your needs.
The deadlines for all assignments coordinate with the workshops. With written permission, one assignment per year may be late.
A research paper on an approved topic of your choice, 10 – 12 pages double spaced, is also required after the assignments are complete. This paper will be made up of first-hand research, evidence of the direct relevance of your topic to yoga teaching, and description of your own personal experience.
A minimum of one meeting per term is required with a faculty member. These meetings are set up so that we can discuss your questions and progress in the course. Informal meetings should take place on a regular basis with your internship teacher. You and/or your internship teacher may initiate a meeting anytime.
The faculty members assess each trainee on professionalism, including attitude toward learning and teaching, demeanour during internship classes, punctuality for all classes and workshops, and general appearance.
There is a subjective component in our assessment of your abilities. Certification is not given automatically. If the faculty has questions, doubts or concerns about a trainee’s competence, additional requirements may be set on a case by case basis.
Assignments are to be submitted prior to each workshop. Only complete assignments will be accepted. Your home practice log is part of each assignment.
There will be a progress assessment on a regular basis.
We are aware of time pressures. We want to work with you to help make the course work for you. If you have not completed the requirements as of the regular graduation date, you will have six months extra to finish the programme. All requirements must be completed by December 31 of the same year following the official June graduation date or certification will not be granted.
The Teacher Training faculty reserves the right to adjust these requirements and costs at any time. Reasonable notice will be given, and accommodation will be made, should changes result in hardship.
You will be given a certificate upon satisfactory completion of the course, signed by all three faculty members. We do not provide any type of written document for partial completion of the Teacher Training Programme.
The 750 hour Teacher Training Programme will cost approximately $7,500.00 CDN. This figure covers the cost of workshops, classes, retreats (at the Studio or in Ontario), meetings, handouts and the review of your papers. The fees are paid in seven installments, 4 over the first 3 months of the course, and 3 at the beginning of second year. Books are purchased separately.
Upon acceptance, a $1,075.00 deposit is required to secure your place. You will also be asked to sign a contract indicating that you understand the format of the course, all course requirements, deadlines and fees.
Students enrolled in the Esther Myers Yoga Studio Teacher Training Programme will receive an official tuition fee receipt (T2202A) which can be used when filing your personal income tax. All fees for Teacher Training workshops, classes, Ontario retreats and books are included in the calculation.
Workshop Payment Schedule
Acceptance into programme – $1, 075.00
October 1, 2013 – $1, 075.00
November 1, 2013 – $1, 075.00
December 1, 2013 – $1, 075.00
September 1, 2014 – $1, 075.00
October 1, 2014 – $1, 075.00
November 1, 2014 – $1, 075.00
• Unlimited classes at the Studio for 22 months (September 1, 2013 to June 30, 2015)
• 21 day long Teacher Training Workshops (21 X $150)
• 2 Retreats in Ontario ($450 each)
• Administration/ Marking/ Handouts/ Meetings ($600)
Please note, all fees are non-refundable.
10:00am-5:00pm (sometimes 5:30pm)
Year 1 (2013-2015 group)
Below are the first year required workshop dates from October, 2013 to June, 2014.
- October 6, 2013 – Orientation
- November 10
- December 15
- January 12, 2014
- February 8 and 9 – Yoga and Anatomy with Peter Blackaby (dates to be confirmed)
- March 1 and 2 – Awakening the Spine
- June 7 and 8 – The Power of Touch: Hands-on Assisting (dates to be confirmed)
- August 5, 6, 7 – From the Ground Up: How to Teach Beginners (dates to be confirmed)
Year 2 (2012-2014 group)
Second year required workshops: November 1-3, 2013, February 7-9 (dates to be confirmed), 2014, June 7-8 (dates to be confirmed)